Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Mixing traditional Skills with Modern Design

A Wall Shelf

I built this wall shelf a couple of years ago using hand cut dovetails and solid Mahogany. The drawer is Flame Birch and made using half blind dovetail joinery incorporating side runners to give the appearance of it 'floating'.It was a fun little project to make and will help you hone your dovetailing skills. If you'd like to learn the details on how I built it as well as a complete cut list and specs, you can pick up the next copy of Canadian Woodworking Magazine (Dec/Jan 2010, issue #63) It's one of the featured articles.

Speaking of woodworking magazines, if you'd like to see a nice little slide show of Made by Hand: Furniture Projects from the Unplugged Woodshop, Popular Woodworking has just uploaded one here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/popularwoodworking/sets/72157622472483565/show/
Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. I can not wait for my copy! You are a great inspiration for those of us starting our journey in wood, thanks for living with a craftsman's attention detail

    ReplyDelete
  2. An other great piece Tom. realy like the "floating" drawer!
    Love to see your work!
    Take Care
    David

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just ordered your book today, Tom. I'm looking forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments...
    and thanks for the book order Kari. Where did you order it from ?
    Not from 'the man' I hope!
    just kidding... :)
    I really appreciate all the support.
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tom,
    I'm fairly new to your site. That's a very clever and lovely piece. Nicely done.
    -- Bob

    ReplyDelete